Thank you for letting us partner with you through Connectivity, the Connection Group e-newsletter. It is our goal to make our monthly connections helpful and inspiring for you as a business owner.
In this edition, we share one of the best tools you can use to manage your online content.
Your Editorial Calendar
Building your online presence using a blog takes focus and time. You need regular updates and high-quality content that are relevant to your industry and business. One of the ways to streamline your blogging time is by using an editorial calendar.
An editorial calendar is a schedule for your blog or website. It is commonly used by magazines and online publications.
Whether it is as simple as a list of monthly topics for blog posts, using an editorial calendar saves you time. No more sitting in front of a computer and staring at a blank page.
Follow these steps to set up your own editorial calendar:
- Use an Excel spreadsheet or a wall calendar with space to write on.
- Add the dates of industry events such as trade shows, conferences, etc. Also add special occasions and important holidays. If you’re planning any special promotions for your services or products, put them in as well.
- Brainstorm a list of topics you would like to write about.
- Go through your list of topics and choose one for each month. Take into consideration the events and promotions you’ve already added. Eg., if you’re a florist, a post about choosing flowers for loved ones would be a great fit for February (Valentine’s Day).
- The more specific you are with the topics you choose, the more time you will save when you sit down to write the article. But a general idea for a future article is fine too.
Remember that if ever you find that your needs change along the way, feel free to tweak your planned topics. The goal of having an editorial calendar is for you to save time and have a focus as you build your online brand.
More for you…
Find out how to manage your brand as a small business on our blog.